Industry Solutions Used:
- Smart Cities
PrismTech Part of Winning Bid for UK's £10m Internet of Things (IoT) City Demonstrator
Company will supply its Vortex IoT Data Sharing Platform to Manchester's CityVerve project
PrismTech announced that it is part of a ground breaking public-private consortium that has won a £10m national competition for Manchester to be the UK’s Internet of Things (IoT) City Demonstrator, awarded by The Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).
Together with Manchester City Council, the partnership includes global technology giant Cisco UK, the University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University, MSP, the UK's largest service and property partner to pioneering science and technology companies, BT, and innovative UK SMEs including PrismTech.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about connecting physical objects with the internet giving us a previously unimagined world of data that can be used to significantly improve our daily lives. It is envisaged that the technology could be used to improve life for residents across an entire city, and that is the aim of Manchester’s CityVerve project.
The project will demonstrate applications of IoT and services in four areas: healthcare, transport, energy and environment and culture and community.
- Elements of the CityVerve project include:
- A 'biometric sensor network' to manage chronic respiratory conditions in patients
- A network of sensors positioned in parks, along commuter and school routes to track the physical activity of individuals and teams
- Talkative bus stops which will allow passengers to let bus operators know they are waiting
- Smart lighting to improve safety along pedestrian routes
- Bike sharing on the Oxford Road Corridor
- Smart air-quality monitoring by lamp posts on the Oxford Road Corridor
PrismTech will supply its Vortex Intelligent Data Sharing Platform to provide data connectivity and data management services to the project. Based on the Object Management Group’s Data Distribution Service (DDS) for Real-time System standard, Vortex enables device-to-device, device-to-cloud and cloud-to-cloud data sharing in real-time. It is a crucial enabler for systems that must reliably and securely deliver high volumes of data with stringent end-to-end qualities-of-service. Vortex has the ability to deliver the right information to the right place at the right time – a perfect fit for Smart City IoT applications.