High Performance Low Footprint SCA Core Framework (CF)
The Spectra Core Framework (CF) is a high-performance, ultra low footprint, COTS implementation of the Software Communications Architecture (SCA) standard's Framework Control and Service Interfaces and is part of PrismTech’s rapidly growing family of advanced Software Defined Radio (SDR) technologies. Spectra CF is designed specifically to support the implementation and deployment of the next-generation of complex SCA-compliant networking waveforms required for military, homeland security and commercial SDRs. Spectra CF supports the deployment of waveform components on any mix of General Purpose Processor (GPP), Digital Signal Processor (DSP) and Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) processing elements.
The Smallest, Fastest, Most Advanced COTS Core Framework
Spectra CF is a fully integrated combination of SCA Framework Control and Service component implementations, Spectra Common Data Bus (CDB) embedded middleware and communication transports optimized for the leading Real-time Operating Systems (RTOS) and supplied by a single vendor. PrismTech has a unique advantage in being the only company that develops both the CF and middleware components of an SCA Operating Environment (OE). This has enabled us to create a CF that has the highest performance and best Size, Weight, and Power (SWaP) characteristics available. The C language CF has a static footprint of under 2MB, which can be as much as 10x smaller than either in-house developed or other Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) CFs. The small memory footprint and optimized processing translates directly into SWaP requirements, making it suitable for ultra small form factor SDRs. The combination of advanced parsing technology, low latency middleware and multithreaded CF architecture enables rapid radio startup and shutdown, waveform applications to be started, stopped and swapped more quickly, plus support for a broader range of waveforms, particularly where data path latency is critical.
Superior Multi Standard Support
Spectra CF offers support for the leading SDR standards. These standards include not only the latest 2.2.2 version of the SCA, but also earlier SCA versions such as 2.2 and even the OMG’s SWRADIO standard. PrismTech is committed to supporting these standards as they evolve and is actively contributing to a number of standardization initiatives including SCA Next.
Superior Multi Language Support
Spectra CF's tool chain supports the development and deployment of both SCA platform and waveform components written in multiple programming languages, including:
- C++ (for GPPs)
- C (for GPPs and DSPs)
- VHDL (for FPGAs and ASICs)
Broad Platform Coverage
Spectra CF is highly portable and is supported on a wide range of platform combinations, including the latest version of all the leading RTOSs and processors:
- RTOS: Windows, Linux, VxWorks, Integrity, LynxOS, QNX, TI BIOS, others
- CPU: ARM, PowerPC, x86
- DSP: TI
- FPGA: Altera and Xilinx
Spectra CF is also available on a number of fully integrated COTS SDR development platforms, including:
- PrismTech’s Spectra DTP4500/4700
- Spectrum Signal’s SDR 4000
Flexible Development Configurations
Spectra CF provides support for multiple memory, processor and development configurations, including:
- Single or separate address spaces RTOSs
- Static or shared libraries
- Native and non-native exception support
Complementary SDR Products
Spectra CF is part of the most complete family of SDR products and technologies designed to support all of your SCA SDR development needs. The Spectra family of SDR products also includes:
- Spectra CX - a model-driven development tool that simplifies, accelerates, and validates a significant proportion of the SCA SDR development process
- Spectra DTP4500/4700 - a complete wideband, high-performance baseband and RF SDR development and test platform
Spectra CF Main Components
Spectra CF includes the following main components:
- SCA Components
- Domain Manager
- Device Manager
- File System Service
- Executable Device (example)
- Boot Loader - used at runtime to activate the correct DomainManager or DeviceManager described in the domain profile
- Target Loader - used to support automated compliance testing on the target SDR platform
- CF Admin - a utility that provides the ability to easily install, create, start, stop, release and uninstall applications
- Spectra Common Data Bus embedded middleware (bundled)
- Spectra ORB C and C++ Editions for GPP
- Spectra ORB Naming Service
- Spectra ORB Event Service
- Spectra Log Service
- Spectra Common Data Bus embedded middleware (optional)
- Spectra ORB C Edition for DSP
- Spectra IP Core ORB for FPGA
Note: the CORBA Naming and Event Services are included as part of the Spectra CF Domain Manager.
PrismTech has also developed a number of platform specific implementations based on the SCA Radio Services and Devices APIs. For information on how these components can be supported on your SDR platform, please contact PrismTech for more details.
Expert Professional Services
PrismTech offers a suite of training courses on the SCA and SDR technologies and their implementation using PrismTech’s Spectra SDR products. We also offer professional services conducted by leading industry experts in all skill areas required for SCA radio development. Services include workshops to help SDR engineers develop both SCA platforms and waveforms, as well as longer term consulting services with PrismTech SDR specialists participating throughout the development lifecycle, including the actual implementation of your SDR solution. Finally PrismTech is renowned for the quality and responsiveness of our Support and Maintenance Services that are available on a worldwide 24x7 basis where required.
Summary of Spectra CF Benefits
- The most advanced COTS CF available from a single vendor
- Very efficient SCA 2.2.2 CF implementation that can support both C++ and/or C and/or VHDL waveform components
- Ultra lightweight embedded middleware (ORB and COS) implementation
- Optimized for overall RTOS/ORB/COS/CF performance as a single embedded system - not just a collection of parts!
- World-class SCA and embedded middleware experts ensure optimal design and implementation
- SCA Radio Services and Devices
- Supported on wide range of platforms
- No export restrictions - not subject to International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS) export restrictions
Please Contact Us for further information about PrismTech's SDR products and services.