Vortex Edge Connect provides a scalable and extensible framework for connecting different endpoint technologies together in Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and Industrie 4.0 systems. Vortex Edge Connect enables field devices using a broad range of Operational Technology (OT) communication protocols to efficiently share data with IIoT Edge and cloud applications that may be using a different set of protocols.
IIoT systems represent a convergence between the OT and Information Technology (IT) worlds. Both domains have traditionally deployed technologies specific to their own use-cases with little need for seamless integration between the underlying infrastructures. This is certainly no longer the case and the IIoT is blurring the boundaries between systems. For companies to leverage the benefits from the plethora of new data generated by connected assets, information must be able to flow efficiently and in real-time to wherever in a system the applications can extract maximum value from the data, either at the edge of a systems or in the cloud.
One of the key challenges facing the IIoT community is how to connect operational or field systems consisting of devices and data sources that use a broad and extensive catalog of protocols with higher level IIoT systems where the communication technologies are completely different.
Vortex Edge Connect enables data from operational systems to be ingested by IIoT edge nodes (e.g. IoT Gateway or Fog Node), and converted into a normalized in-memory data model which can then be shared with other communication endpoints via the framework. Data integration is achieved via a set of protocol specific connectors that interact and populate the data model with real-time data.
- Enables data interoperability between IT and OT systems
- Highly scalable solution with support for flexible connection models, 1-1, 1-many, many-1, many-many
- Out-of-the-box support for most common OT and IT data sources and sinks
- Platform independent solution with support for Linux and Windows operating systems
- Part of complementary Vortex ecosystem of IoT data sharing technologies
- Vortex Edge Connect enables connectivity and data interoperability between industrial data sources and applications independent of whether they are deployed on local edge networks or in the cloud
- Industrial devices including PLCs, PAC, RTUs, DAQs or sensors/actuators using a range of OT protocols can share and receive data with industrial (e.g. MES, SCADA, Predictive Maintenance) and enterprise (e.g. ERP, Big Data Analytics, Storage) applications using a different set of communications standards and deployed at different levels within an end-to-end IIoT system
- Vortex Edge Connect provides a set of out-of-the-box connectors to common OT data sources such as ModBus (TCP/IP), CANopen, EtherCAT, EtherNet/IP and core IoT data-backbone protocols such as MQTT, DDS and HTTP/REST
- Vortex Edge Connect is highly scalable and can support 1-1, 1-many, many-1 or many-many data connection models
- Vortex Edge Connect is an operating system independent framework that is available for both Linux and Windows platforms
- Vortex Edge Connect is a deployment technology and is licensed on a connector/per node basis. Each connector can be purchased separately and additional protocol connectors will be added in the future. To request connector support for a specific protocol, please Contact PrismTech.
The Vortex Edge Connect software is now available for evaluation, please Contact PrismTech for further details.